Thursday, March 12, 2009

Update from Josh

A picture of the past few weeks


Going into Manila to meet the contractors and resolve discrepancies in the plans.



A typical scene closer to where we live. Lots of trikes to get around! Of course lots of toys to keep the Rehoboth kids occupied when they need to go in the van.





I had the experience of "commuting back to Rehoboth" with a friend. The normal 2.5 to 3 hour trip is extended to 4.5 hours. We took a bus, two Jeepney's, and a trike. I have to admit, sometimes dramamine is my best friend. The Jeepney that I will ride in. I got the front seat. Notice the stickers on the winshield.

This was taken in the Jeepnee. Needless to say it was bumpy and I felt the way the picture looks!



Kuya Eric and I after we put all new piping on a broken sink in the kids house. It was a pain so we were excited when we finally had no leaks!



Kuya Eric and Kuya Sid helping me measure the back property fence.




Site clearing with a Grass Cutter. Not pictured is me feebly using a machete to clear thicker vegetation.
Erick and Sid surveying
It has been great to have time to teach surveying to Eric and Sid. They are eager to learn and catch on fast.

A skype call to talk about the progress of the project with the director of the ministry. I talk with my hands even if it is a skype call with no video. Brit just laughs.




I love this because this is the best part. Everyday there is so much activity and we get to spend our time with these kids! What a blessing! If nothing else, pouring love into these amazing kids every day is a privilege and really what this is all about.


If you are trying to build a wall, a great book to read is Nehemiah. I can relate to this guy. He was burdened by a task. Sought prayer and came before the king to ask for a leave of absence. I had to go before my boss and felt very similar to Nehemiah. He had all the materials he wanted to build the wall, well this is not quite the same for us, but we do have some funds. He took his time before getting started. He selected local, small time contractors, which weren't even skilled in building walls. He met opposition as the construction progressed, we burdened by the poverty he saw because of corruption and put a stop to it. He built a wall with half of the contractors guarding the other workers, (I hope it doesn't come to that). He rebuilt a huge wall around Jerusalem, and he did it in 52 days! We all know how hard it is to remodel something instead of building new. Why did he accomplish so much? Because he was a great leader and organizer? No, because of the gracious hand of God using him. It was God's heart to protect His people in Jerusalem. It had nothing to do with Nehemiah. I am learning to be on my knees before anything can be done that day, and on my knees before I fall into bed. And I do know God's heart is absolutely for these children who are abandoned and find hope here.

Here is the shortened version of what has been going on with the project. I went into Manila(a 2.5-3 hour trip, where one of the board members of Rehoboth Children's Home has a consulting firm and has donated some time to detail some of the designs for EMI. EMI designed the wall but there needed to be more details of the design for the contractors to bid it. So, this company detailed the wall and sent it out to a few bidders( details, details, details). When I got there, they had just received the bids and wanted to review them with me, after lunch. So while they had lunch, I reviewed the details. I noticed problems with the details. First, the detail showed steel railing throughout the perimeter, when half of the wall was supposed to be concrete block, which is more economical. Second, and more important, was that the detail showed a footing depth of 0.7 meters(2.3 feet) versus the 3 meter depth(9.8 feet) required for this section of wall. This was a big issue and caused us to re-detail the wall and resubmit it to the bidders. What was told to me is that this should take 4-6 days, but that turned out to be much longer.
So, during that time I kept busy with clearing wall site, surveying the location of the new wall, digging test holes to see what the soil is under the new wall, and running elevations of the existing road and the new fence to see how deep the footings will be. In these pictures are Eric and Sid, both work at Rehoboth and I have been having a great time with them. They have been teaching me Tagalog, the language, and I have been teaching them surveying.


When the new bids came in, they were not comparable. The bidders each interpreted the plans differently and we could not decipher if they had covered everything in the project or not. They also excluded the local pastor/engineer that is very small compared to the other contractors, but is so respected by the community and has a heart for the ministry Rehoboth is doing, we needed to help him be included in the selection process.
So, fixing screens, unclogging drains with a snake, a new and exciting skill I have learned, fixing doors, and more surveying to prepare for the start of construction.


The last bids as of today, March 12th, still had questions to them, which we need to get clarification before we can award the contract. Ahhh! I have been stripped of all pride, thoughts that I could "make it happen" on my own. I am learning patience and knowing nothing, absolutely nothing is possible without God.
We covet your prayers so much, sometimes there seems to be more opposition to this than there should be. Pray the right contractor is selected that will:
1.) Be honest and have integrity. I believe the remaining contractors have this. 2.) That as we field engineer(that is make changes as we build) we can keep the balance between long term durability, high quality, and the budget. 3.) That I am not so focused on the project that I let my first priority, my family, suffer. 4.) That relationships continue to grow here at Rehoboth. There have been some great friendships started that can be solidified in the next few months. There is also one person in particular that I have drawn close to and who has asked about my faith. I have been able to talk openly about my faith with him and his rejection of God. Pray that through our friendship, Jesus would be proclaimed, by our lives, and with words if necessary. We are so thankful for all of our friends and family. Absence does make you realize how valuable your relationships are. We are so grateful for your prayers and support!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to hear about the parallels with Nehemiah. God is definitely working in you, even if He has not gotten the actual project off the ground.
    How are the kids doing? Still adjusting well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the jeepnee pictures.
    It's one thing to know that working oversees is going to be inefficient, but it's another thing when you're in the midst of that inefficiency. It's a lesson in perseverance for sure, and one we'll be learning soon too I'm sure.

    Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I didn't know we should be praying for your safety in traffic more than the project! I will pray fervently for the unbelieving friend. we are enjoying your backyard and driveway!!! Beth & Jason

    ReplyDelete